Our approach to parent education includes numerous opportunities to learn about, discuss and debate the most current research and trends in parenting.
This year’s speakers have included:
December 9, 2014 – Sane Parenting in an Insane World, with Dr. Jody Kussin, author of Catch Them Being Good: A Guide to Positive Parenting
Dr. Kussin helps you identify your own parenting strengths and address parenting fears. She is a pragmatic and funny speaker, who has raised three young adult children who both ‘suck her dry’ and ‘fill her up, to her cup over-runneth.’
December 16, 2014 & January 7, 2015 – A Parent’s Guide to the Pre-Teen Years, 2 Part Series
An interactive workshop for learning tools to help understand and communicate with your pre-teen, with Larissa Adler, LMFT
Part 1: Tuesday, December 16, 8:45 a.m. – 10 a.m.: Change & Communication
- Understanding Physical and Behavioral Changes
- Understanding Your Own Reactions to Your Tween
- How to Listen and Communicate with Your Tween
Part 2: Wednesday, January 7, 8:45 a.m. – 10 a.m.: Fostering Good Judgment, Managing Stress & Sett, Managing Stress & Setting Boundaries
- Stimulating Your Tween’s Ability to Think Critically
- Effectively Transmitting Your Family’s Values
- Talking about Alcohol, Internet and Peer Pressure
- 7th Grade – The Transition to Middle School
- Understanding Physical and Behavioral Manifestations of Stress
- Learn Coping Strategies You Can Teach Your Tween
- Setting Appropriate Boundaries
Some of our other recent speakers include:
Rosalind Wiseman, author of Queen Bees and Wannabes: Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques, Gossip, Boyfriends, and the New Realities of Girl World—the groundbreaking, best-selling book that was the basis for the movie Mean Girls. Her latest book, Masterminds & Wingmen: Helping Our Boys Cope with Schoolyard Power, Locker-Room Tests, Girlfriends, and the New Rules of Boy World was published in September 2013.
Ashley Merryman, whose insights change the national dialogue with essays (such as “How Not to Talk to Your Kids, the Inverse Power of Praise,” “Creativity Crisis,” and “Losing is Good For You“). And author of New York Times bestsellers, Nurtureshock: New Thinking about Children and Top Dog: The Science of Winning and Losing.
Wendy Mogel, author of bestseller,The Blessing of a Skinned Knee and The Blessing of a B Minus.