Today Beth Hillel Day School, which includes an ECE and Elementary School, serves students from age 2 through sixth grade. Guided by our mission of developing the academic skills, individual talents and Jewish identity of all children, our school produces students who love learning, are prepared for the 21st Century, and display confidence as they make wise choices throughout their lives.
Temple Beth Hillel was the first Reform congregation in the San Fernando Valley. The inaugural Shabbat service for Temple Beth Hillel took place on December 11, 1946. By 1950, the congregation built its first building, and the sanctuary we enjoy today was dedicated in 1956.
Our preschool was initially established as a co-op in 1950. In 1975 it officially became part of the Temple, and a full-time Director was hired. In 1989, Rabbi Jim Kaufman spearheaded an effort to establish the first ever Reform Jewish Day School in the San Fernando Valley. Faith Tessler joined in that effort as the founding chairperson of the Beth Hillel Day School Committee. Rabbi Jim and Rabbi Faith approached Leonard and Naomi Feldman who agreed to underwrite the creation of Beth Hillel Day School. Because of their generous support, the school is dedicated in their honor.
The elementary school started with one Kindergarten class in 1994 and has continued to grow and thrive ever since. By 2004, Beth Hillel Day School had received accreditation from the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and the Bureau of Jewish Education of Greater Los Angeles (BJE). The accrediting WASC Committee commended us for providing “a rich, challenging and diverse program across all subject areas.”